Kakao Customer Service Main
No, you will only receive notifications for those who have entered their birthday information on KakaoStory and enabled the option to display their birthday on KakaoTalk profile.
(To enable/disable this option, go to KakaoStory > Settings > Link KakaoTalk Profile > Birthday)
You can delete your recent search history by tapping the X button.
You can also go to Settings > Privacy and disable Save Recent Searches to hide your recent search history.
Anyone who uses KakaoTalk v.9.7.5 and above can use the QR code to log into KakaoTalk in iPads or Android tablets without having to enter their Kakao Account email address.
Log into KakaoTalk with QR codes using the methods below.
1) Open KakaoTalk for iPads or tablets
2) Select login with QR code
3) Open the QR code reader in mobile KakaoTalk
4) Scan the QR code displayed in your iPad or tablet
5) Select whether you are logged in or not
6) Register your device if your device has not yet been registered
How to scan the QR code
1) Open mobile KakaoTalk
2) Select the scanner from the upper right search menu or the More menu
With deepest sympathy…
In case a user passes away, KakaoTalk offers two options for the person's account based on the will of the user's family: unregistration or a memorial profile.
• Unregistration from Kakao Talk
When the family chooses unregistration, the user's account will be marked as "Unknown" just like other unregistered accounts, and the account will be deleted permanently.
• Memorial profile
If the family wants to memorialize the private chatroom and the profile, they can contact the Customer Service and request that the account be switched to a memorial profile.
What is a memorial profile?
The memorial profile feature is intended to assist bereaved family and friends in honoring and finding solace in the memory of the departed.
The profile will remain active and won’t display as "unknown" even if the deceased’s phone number is discontinued.
Loved ones can share their memories and express their feelings of loss through private messaging.
[What are the benefits of a memorial profile?]
- The profile of the deceased user will be maintained and not converted to an Unknown account.
- An obituary notice can be made quietly without contacting friends and acquaintances.
- The KakaoTalk account of the deceased user can be maintained even if the user's phone number is unregistered.
- The profile can be used as a place to remember the deceased user.
[How will the KakaoTalk account of a deceased user be changed?]
- To protect the user's privacy, no one can log in with the deceased user's account.
- Messages cannot be sent or received, and the account cannot be used to log into sub-devices (windows, mac, ipad, android tablet, etc).
[How will the account be shown to his or her KakaoTalk friends?]
- The deceased user will be marked as a Remembered Friend in the Friends list, and the user's name, profile, background image, multi-profile settings and chat history will also be preserved.
- The deceased user will be removed from all chatrooms except for private chatrooms.
- The deceased user cannot be invited to a group chat.
- Chats in private chatrooms can be checked only by the sender, so the sender can use this chatroom as a place to remember the deceased user.
⚠️ A memorial profile can be maintained for 5 years and may be extended up to 10 years upon request. The user will be automatically unregistered afterwards.
⚠️ If the deceased user has already unregistered from KakaoTalk, a memorial profile cannot be used.
We hope that a memorial profile can help bring comfort and support to the bereaved family of a deceased user. May the user rest in peace.
There are two ways to request a memorial profile, tailored to your relationship with the deceased:
1. Application by a Memorial Profile legacy contact
If the deceased appointed a legacy contact for their memorial profile, this individual can directly manage the transition to a memorial profile. The legacy contact can select the user to be memorialized via 'Settings > Friends > Remembered Friends' in KakaoTalk, and submit the application along with documentation proving the death.
Note: If a legacy contact manages the memorial profile, financial claim refunds and account deactivation are not possible.
2. Application by Immediate Family Members
Immediate family members, even if not designated as memorial profile legacy contacts, can request to convert the deceased’s KakaoTalk into a memorial profile. During the account deactivation process, there is an option to transition to a memorial profile, with support provided for financial claim refunds. Please gather the necessary documentation and proceed with your inquiry, noting the following important points:
⚠️ Important Notes:
- Assistance is limited if the deceased's account has been deactivated and appears as "unknown."
- Ensure that KakaoTalk is functioning properly on the deceased’s mobile phone.
In [KakaoTalk Settings > Personal/Security > Memorialized Profile], you can personally decide how your KakaoTalk will be managed after your passing. You can choose to leave it as a memorial profile or set restrictions, and these settings will remain in place for 10 years.
1. Leaving a Memorial Profile
A legacy contact pre-designated by you will be responsible for converting your account to a memorial profile after your passing.
1) Simplified Documentation
While applying for a memorial profile as immediate family might require up to five different documents, having a pre-designated legacy contact enables conversion with just a death certificate.
2) Support for Conversion by a Close Friend
You can appoint a close friend, who is not an immediate family member, as your legacy contact to manage the conversion to a memorial profile. Ensure the friend can submit a death certificate and is trustworthy.
3) Authority Granted to the legacy contact
Once converted to a memorial profile, the legacy contact will have the right to modify your profile for 49 days. They can also access a final letter written by you, meant only for them, before your passing.
* If the information on the deceased’s KakaoTalk does not match the documentation, additional documents may be requested. Also, financial claim refunds and account deactivation are not possible when a legacy contact manages the conversion.
2. Restricting a Memorial Profile
If you wish not to have your KakaoTalk converted into a memorial profile posthumously, set it to 'Restrict Memorial Profile'. Even if family members apply after your passing, the conversion will not be possible, and your pre-death wishes will be communicated. However, if the phone number used in your lifetime is discontinued, resulting in expired verification, or if the family requests the deletion of the deceased's account, your KakaoTalk may be deactivated. After deactivation, your profile will appear to friends as 'unknown'.
A memorial profile is one way to offer solace to your friends who remain after you're gone. We suggest discussing it with close family and friends before deciding.
1. Simplified Process for Memorial Profile Conversion
After the requester's death, the legacy contact can proceed with the conversion to a memorial profile. As a legacy contact, you can bypass submitting family relationship certificates, telecom provider documentation, and a copy of your ID, and proceed with just the death certificate of the deceased.
2. Authority to Modify the Profile for 49 Days After Conversion
Once the requester’s account is converted to a memorial profile, the legacy contact is notified and granted the authority to make changes on behalf of the deceased. This includes editing the profile picture, background image, and status message. Note that upon modification, existing profile features like music, D-Day countdown, and stickers will be removed. After 49 days, this authority expires, and the last posted profile will be maintained throughout the memorial period.3. Access to the Last Letter
The requester can write a final letter to the legacy contact during their lifetime. This letter is shared with the legacy contact when the profile is converted and can be accessed throughout the memorial period.
We recommend appointing someone close to you and trustworthy over a long period as your memorial profile legacy contact.
The legacy contact needs to submit the death certificate of the requester and will have the authority to change the deceased’s profile for a set period after the conversion.
Additionally, if the deceased’s KakaoTalk information does not match the death certificate, further documentation may be required. Therefore, it's advisable to appoint a family member or a close acquaintance who can easily manage document issuance and receipt.
The 'Last Letter' is a message intended to be sent to your memorial profile legacy contact after your passing. You can compose this letter if you have chosen to leave a memorial profile in the 'Memorial Profile Settings,' with support for up to 1,000 characters. This 'Last Letter' will be delivered to your legacy contact at the time your KakaoTalk is converted into a memorial profile.
Since the legacy contact has the authority to modify your KakaoTalk profile after your death, you can use this letter to share your thoughts about your final profile or to express gratitude and feelings towards your surviving family and friends.
Please note that the 'Last Letter' does not have any legal effect.